Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My female Doberman pinscher has started dripping urine constantly…

Customer Question
my female Doberman pinscher has...
my female Doberman pinscher has started dripping urine constantly what could be wrong and what course of action is recommended
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about Chassie. I'm so sorry she's having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need to help her.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
The most common reasons for a 2 year old female dog to start dripping urine include the following...
-urinary tract infection
-bladder stones
Those are the most common. Other things are possible, however, like diseases that cause excessive urination (diabetes, adrenal disease, etc.) and other types of structural problems with her urinary tract, but these are much less common.
I'd be most suspicious of stones.
The appropriate course of action is to take her to the vet for a thorough physical exam and a urinalysis. Depending on what the vet finds, he or she may also want to run basic blood tests or take x-rays. X-rays are usually necessary to identify stones.
Once you know what the diagnosis is, then a treatment plan can be put in place.
can penicillin be used to treat a urinary tract infection
?????
are you still here?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Sorry...
I was typing in a reply to another question while waiting for your response.
Penicillin is not a great choice for treating a urinary tract infection and is not one of our usual go-to antibiotics for a UTI.
Additionally, antibiotics really aren't indicated for a problem like this until the dog has had an appropriate workup including a urinalysis to determine the reason for the constant dripping.
Also, I am focusing only on your question at this time, so we can continue our chat through this format if you do not wish to have a live phone call.
this just started within the last couple of days
Good. I'm glad to hear this has just started within the last couple of days. I wouldn't want you or Chassie to have to suffer with these symptoms for long. It can be pretty uncomfortable AND messy.
How else can I help you?
Please remember you can return to this thread anytime you are online again. I want to be as complete, honest, and helpful as possible to you in your difficult situation with Maci.
If I am offline when you return, rest assured I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
In summary, the most likely things to cause these symptoms in a dog like Maci are bladder stones and a urinary tract infection. Other things are also possible, but less common. The appropriate course of action is to have her seen at your local vet and have a urinalysis done. Additional diagnostic tests (like x-rays and bloodwork)may also be indicated. There are no treatment recommendations to be made until you have a diagnosis.
If you are satisfied with the information I have provided, please kindly take a moment to accept my answer and rate my response. If you are not, please let me know how else I may help.
Thank you for using our website.
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian