Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has been coughing, sometimes brings up phlegm what could

Customer Question

my dog has been coughing, sometimes brings up phlegm what could it be? she has just had her 1st season, and is fully vaccinated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today and give you some guidance. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How old is Sage?
2- Has she been around unfamiliar dogs like in a kennel or dog park?
3- Is the cough like hacking/gagging?
4- Is she eating and drinking?
5- Any other symptoms?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sage is 7 months old, she has been to the local park, and also plays with out cat. who by the wt seems fine. Sage is eating and drinking, but seems to be making a sort of grunting nose, and then coughs, sometimes resulting in bring up like foam
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the cough you are describing is consistent with an upper respiratory infection called "kennel cough." Basically, she has a dog cold. The forceful coughing is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting. This can be caused by viruses or bacterias. Often we need to start them on oral antibiotics. In the meantime, start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours for the next week. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the cough. Follow up with family veterinarian for oral antibiotics.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter