Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8 year old Maltese has diabetes last 3 months.

Customer Question
My 8 year old Maltese...
My 8 year old Maltese has diabetes for the last 3 months. We give 2 insulin shots a day. He also has gone blind. I noticed he has a swollen area on his back right side between the rib cage and back leg. Is this something to do with his diabetes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
The answer is: probably not. But because he is a diabetic it is very important you have all unusual lesions examined right away. Our diabetics are so prone to unusual infection that it is very important problems like this be seen by your vet right away. If this is infection then this could cause his diabetes to become unregulated which is another reason this is important to be seen.
I understand you are traveling which always make having him examined more difficult. You could safely monitor this as long as he is doing well and this is not having any drainage, pain or irritating him. If he does develop any of those signs, then you should take him to the closest emergency clinic you can find. Once you get to your destination, then you can settle and find a veterinarian to examine him.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Hi Val,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Toby. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified