Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Not sure, but think dog ate hydrazaline pill instead of his…

Customer Question
not sure, but think dog...
not sure, but think dog ate hydrazaline pill instead of his phenobarbital
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bob, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of you dog's having possibly swallowed hydrazaline. Do you know how long ago it may have been swallowed?
hour and a half ago
hello!
anyone there?
OK - I JUST LOOKED AND THE $19 HAS BEEN TAKEN FROM MY CHECKING ACCOUNT AND I NEED A RESPONSE - THERE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE NOTHING BUT THE $5 TAKEN UNTIL I GOT ONE - HELLO!!!!
I WANT MY MONEY BACK - THIS IS A SCAM!!!
Hello again. Don't worry, the fee will not be deposited until you voluntarily accept my answer. Since it's been over an hour, you won't be able to remove the pill by causing vomiting so we'll have to take it from there. Hydrazaline, as you most likely know, is a hypotensive drug whose purpose is lowering the blood pressure. Do you know the size of the tablet and the weight of your dog?
THE DOG WEIGHS 60# ***** THE PILL IS 50 mg
Okay, thank you. that is a safe dose for a dog that needs hydrazaline, but it's effects on your dog may be unpredictable.How bad are his epileptic seizures, is he very likely to seize if he misses a dose of medication? The combination of drugs is of concern in this case.
his seizures are pretty bad, but rare, averaging one every couple of months. He takes 1 grain twice a day of phenobarbital. we know he did NOT get both of them this morning. He either got his own medicine or the hydrazaline and we believe it was the latter
my husband is ready to take him for a walk - will that make effects worse?
Thank you. Because of the complexity of the interactions of these medications, the safest course would be to get him to your veterinarian as soon as possible. They can treat him to help prevent the absorption of the hydrazaline, and watch him for signs of a seizure, treating him if needed. This may all be a false alarm, but it is better to be safe than sorry when dealing with potent medications. If you should have any further questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you, but time is of the essence in getting him to help.Kind regards, *****
vet not opened until 7:30 here. That's why we contacted you.
Another veterinarian may be able to help you at this point. I'm having a very busy day at my clinic and can't give you the service you deserve, sorry.
Best regards, *****
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian