Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a small dachshund that got sand spurs in his foot, how

Customer Question
can I get out the...
I have a small dachshund that got sand spurs in his foot, how can I get out the little
barbs that broke off?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
The best way to remove the small ones that may have broken off is to apply warm compresses to this area every 4-6 hrs. Harley's body will automatically push them out by drawing it with heat. If you can see any small areas after using the compresses, then use tweezers to remove them. If you do not see them Harleys own body will take care of this with an immune response within a few days.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian