Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What happens if my dog ingests 200 mg of Lamital?

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bob, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. How long ago did Chloe ingest the Lamital?
I'm really not even sure that she ingested it but if she did, she chewed it because it is not a capsule.
Around 7 a.m.
Sorry for the delay, I'm having technical difficulties with the site.
Okay, thank you. As it's been longer than one hour, the medication would have passed from her stomach, so making her vomit it back up is out of the question. Lamictal is not a drug that has been FDA approved for dogs, so the pharmacological workings have not been documented. It is a fairly potent psychogenic medication, however and may potentially could have toxic effects. Severe skin rashes have been reported with long-term use in humans, but nothing of the sort has been reported for one-time accidental doses in the dog.
Your options at this point are to get her to your veterinarian for prophylactic treatment with activated charcoal (it absorbs the medication in the intestine), or take the risk of betting on her not ingesting the pill, or that she doesn't have a reaction to it. In either case, the outcome is unpredictable since so little is known about the drug in dogs. I wish I had a more clear cut answer for you, but if you should have further questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.
Kind regards, *****
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, it took so long and I was so worried that I called the Animal Control Poisen Center and they suggested that I take her to my vet so she is on her way there now.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bob, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
I apologize for the inefficiency. You've done the best thing for Chloe in spite of my failure to advise you in a timely manner. I hope she comes through this episode unharmed. Best regards, *****
Thank you.
You're most welcome!
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian