Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 3 yr old Lab goes through bouts of obsessive licking-the floor, carpet, his crate, ther…

Customer Question
My 3 yr old Lab...
My 3 yr old Lab goes through bouts of obsessive licking-the floor, carpet, his crate, there are trails of tongue marks on the floor. Then he goes outside and eats grass excessively then vomits a huge pile of anything in his stomach. Obviously he's trying to get rid of something in his stomach. During these episodes he is gagging and coughing like he's trying to vomit. Took him to the vet and they said try giving him Pepcid. Is Pepto Bismol ok? These episodes last usually a day or so, but we go through this every few weeks. Just had a blood panel run and everything came out normal. I'm at a loss
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for requesting me, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am in a different time zone to you and have just come online first thing this morning, however I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. In direct answer to your question : Pepto Bismol will often work as well as Pepcid where your dog is actually having these episodes, please follow this link for more information including dose rates related to Pepto Bismol in dogs ... LINK { Pepto Bismol is a very safe drug in dogs by the way } 2. But lets talk things over a bit more : The sort of behaviour you describe, licking the floor etc. often occurs when a dog is feeling nauseous. This may be because he has a habit of eating things he should or it can occur in some disease conditions but this would be unlikely in your case as the blood panel was clear. 3. It can often be hard to get to the precise cause of such problems but in the past I have had some long term success in some cases by changing the dog's diet to something more digestible such as one of the Hills prescription for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Better pet stores also sell branded dog food for dogs with sensitive stomachs. You have to feed your dog on something so it may as well be one of these special diets. 4. Another thing I have know help is probiotics, basically these consist of " good bacteria " which help your dog's digestive system. You can get these from your vet or better pet store and they are safe to give every day as they are more food supplements than drugs. However you will get just the same effect by giving your Lab a couple of tablespoons of plain live yogurt twice a day on a daily basis. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Leah,
I am just checking back in to see how Beckett is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the nausea ...
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.