Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Good evening, Dr.D... My 5 years old female Boxer is having…

Customer Question
Good evening, Dr.D... My 5 years...
Good evening, Dr.D...
My 5 years old female Boxer is having a terrible time.
After having had two TPLO surgeries on her left back kneecancelled due to excessive body weight, we are finding it difficult to find the most effective medication to suit her needs,i.e., in order to control the pain...
Charlie does not tolerate a vaste array of medication (liver failure last year, ulcerated stomach end of 2014, pancreatitis, skin allergies for which she takes Apoquel on a daily basis, spinal surgery when she was under 1 year old, arthritis on different areas of her body, et cetera, et cetera...)
We have tried Tramadol but this makes her feel drowsy, to the point where she can sleep 12 hours nonstop!!
We also tried Pardale - no good either.
We are now giving, once more, another opportunity to Gabapentin.
We started it yesterday - Charlie looks and feels enormously "spaced out", alienated and non responsive to any stimulae.
Dr.D, based on your experience, your thoughts on theatre would be highly appreciated...
I have some doubts about the correct dosage for a Boxer dog weighing 44kg.
Thank you ever so much.
Respectfully,
Elizabeth
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is she currently on the Prednisone? What dose?

What dose of Gabapentin is she on?

Have you tried any nutrient supplements just for their added benefit and lack of adverse signs?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian