Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 65 pound dog just ate the small cap to her ear ointment.

Customer Question
It is less than an...
My 65 pound dog just ate the small cap to her ear ointment. It is less than an inch long and very narrow. I am worried that it will make her sick. Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
It's very likely that a 65 lb dog will pass that cap without much ado. There isn't enough product in the cap to sicken her. You can facilitate its package by adding psyllium seed to each meal until the cap shows up in her stool. The dose of psyllium seed (Metamucil) is a total of 2 tablespoons per day for her divided into her meals. Vomiting and inappetence are symptoms of obstruction of the GI tract - neither of which I expect to arise but you should be aware of them.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian