Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Old dog with ACL tear..on 2nd floor....has to be carried downstairs

Customer Question

old dog with ACL tear..on 2nd floor....has to be carried downstairs to go to bathroom....owner has herniated disc...any suggestions to get dog to do business on balcony?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Angie. I'm so sorry you're in this difficult situation, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
I've got a couple of suggestions for you.
1. Pick up some of Angie's stool from where she is currently going and place that on the pads on the balcony.
2. This won't be easy, but just be patient and stubborn. If you absolutely refuse to allow Angie access to anywhere else to go to the bathroom, she will eventually go against her training and instincts and will eliminate *somewhere* in the apartment or on the balcony.
I'd also like to offer some "outside the box" solutions.
1. School is ending. Look into hiring an able-bodied neighbor kid to take her out for you. Three times a day is best, ***** ***** daily is usually adequate. This would be especially true for the temporary (few weeks) period during her ACL recovery.
2. Do all you can to speed along Angie's healing so she'll be able to return to doing steps. Pursue laser therapy and physical therapy.
3. Look into alternatives to carrying her down the steps. Lifting harnesses like this can be useful and ease back strain on human handlers. Here's a link...
http://www.amazon.com/GingerLead-Dog-Support-Rehabilitation-Harness/dp/B00GPYFA50/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432765981&sr=8-3&keywords=dog+lifting+sling+harness
4. Talk to your surgeon about alternatives to carrying her (assuming this is a doctor's order and not a physical disability). It is NOT always necessary to carry a dog post-ACL surgery in order to get good healing.
I know there it's probably frustrating to hear there aren't any easy or simple solutions, but I hope you'll find this information helpful.
Please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Please rest assured I am here to help.
You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Just checking in to see if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I've provided above.