Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Good morning, i have a 16 mth old dachshund. he loves to

Customer Question
Good morning, i have...
Good morning, i have a 16 mth old dachshund. he loves to dig and as a result on saturday he dug a hole looking for a gopher or something that caught his attention. on Sunday i took him to the beach and he started digging again. i try to get his attention away from digging. he ends up with a nose full of dirt and sand. he's breathing ok. but evey once in a while he breaths out. it almost sounds like he has a plugged nose. what can I do to help him? i tried making an appt with his regular vet. but, there's nothing available for a week. what do you recommend? this symptoms started on Sunday. After our walk at the beach.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you for your question. What I recommend starting at this time is an anti-histamine, to help decrease some of the irritation and inflammation that can occur in the sinus cavity. How much does your dog weigh?
he weighs 11Lbs 9 oz. what type of anti-histamine should i give him
So the one I recommend is benadryl, or generic diphenhydramine. Be sure it is not a combination product as some will have another medication with it (such as benadryl D). The dose is 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet. If you get the liquid, you would need to give 5 ml (which can be difficult to give) so using the tablets will likely be the better route. This can be given every 8-12 hours. If he is too sleepy on every 8 hours, you can decrease to every 12 hours.
children's benadryl ok?
Yes, that would be fine. Do you have the liquid? Then it would be the 5 ml.
Hello. I wanted to check in and see how things are going. Thank you.
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian