Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Does anybody have any good alternative health ideas when it

Customer Question

Does anybody have any good alternative health ideas when it comes to lymphoma in dogs assuming I am trying to avoid chemo? Thanks so much!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Has anyone talked to you about prednisone therapy with lymphoma?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I'm not sure what Prednisone therapy is? She is on Prenisone at the moment though.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
She is on prednsione at this time? Prednisone is often used as an alternative to actual chemotherapy. It reduces the physical size of the lymph nodes as well as improves how the pet is feeling (less lethargy, more of an appetite). It can be continued long term, although the dose is eventually reduced if possible. It is not true chemotherapy though so eventually the cancer in the lymph nodes does return. It is a cost effective way of having a pet with lymphoma feel better but typically does not extend the life expectancy. The only therapy that extends life expectancy is chemotherapy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh yes, then I already know about that. We had her on prednisone for a few weeks about a month or so and it was only a few weeks before the swelling came right back.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
In my opinion, there is no complementary and alternative veterminary medicine modality that when used alone replaces pred and chemo for canine lymphoma. In every study I have seen and in every case that I have participated in the survival for complementary and alternative veterminary medicine treatment of canine multicentric lymphoma is not long. (4-12 weeks). Combination chemo is the longest survival we can get for most of these dogs. I wish I had better news.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what about a combination of minerals, vitamins and amino acids. I wouldnt expect any hollistic or natural medicine to work with high success when used alone, even chemo utilizes a mixture of different drugs to combat lymphoma. What do you know about using the same "cocktail" of minerals, vitamins and amino acids to produce the same results? Suppliments such as NAC, Glutathione, blue/gree algae, vitamin C.Also what about fitness/diet regiments? We both know that cancer thrives in a environment of low oxygen and high glucose/fructose. One would think that by increasing the uptake of less sugars and going on longer/more frequent walks would help to "starve" out cancer.Thoughts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
woops, decreasing the uptake of sugars and increasing oxygen intake.Actually on that note, do you know of anything that would help the body absorb and utilize these suppliments. You can flood a body with this stuff but it will only be able to take in a specific amount. What could we introduce into her diet that will help to increase the regulatory proteins that aid in this absorption?