Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Just had a puppy sent to us from Ohio and it is about 2.5 lbs

Customer Question

Just had a puppy sent to us from Ohio and it is about 2.5 lbs it is a cavalier /bichon mix it has diarrhea for 6 days for the past 4 days we are giving him .1 mil of albendazole and it is not working the puppies appetite is good we are feeding it every 4 hours baby food chicken with chicken broth and after that grilled chicken and is eating it all up very active for an hour after eating and then sleeps
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has it had diarrhea since it arrived?

Since you are treating with Albendazole, was this puppy diagnosed with worms or Giardia?

Was a stool sample tested?

What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood or mucus?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When it arrived it didn't have diarrhea . It hasn't been tested for worms or G but the others in the litter didn't have worms the stool hasn't been tested and some times it looks as if it has mucus and other times not
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,

First, just like babies, pups can have diarrhea due to a range of causes. Specifically, we can see diarrhea due to bacteria, viruses, parasites (worms but also protozoa like Giardia, Coccidia, Cryptosporidia, etc), toxins, quick diet changes, stress, and general dietary indiscretions type causes. And I would note that if none of the other pups had had issues with worms/giardia and you are not seeing improvement with this treatment, we need to consider these other potential triggers for Reggie's diarrhea.

Now to start, you are correct to have him on a light/easily digestible diet. Just to note some other options, you can also use cooked white rice with boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder).. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients in and result in less diarrhea. Also feed this as small frequent meals to further decrease the volume of diarrhea he is producing. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the diarrhea is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

Further to this, if you suspect a dietary indiscretion, quick diet change, or stress; then it can help to use a GI supportive treatment to try to settle this diarrhea. Examples that would be worth using with your lad would be GI microflora supports like Fortiflora (More Info) or Pro-Kolin Enterogenic (More Info). They can help restore gut bacteria balance and reduce signs as long as nothing infectious has taken root.

Now since he has already had runny stools for a wee bit, I do want to note that diarrhea can dehydrate a young dog. Therefore, if you do trial home treatment with him, then do keep an eye on his drinking and hydration. To check his hydration status to make sure they are not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have him seen by the vet before makes him feel poorly. (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level and actually makes them feel ill)

If you were concerned that he was becoming dehydrated, you can try and encourage him to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. If he isn’t amenable to these, you can syringe feed Pedialyte. Pedialyte is nice (though aim for a flavorless one) because it will get some of those lost electrolytes back into him as well. A typical maintenance rate for hydration in an animal is 48mls per kilogram of weight a day. If you do give syringe Pedialyte, this should obviously be divided up into multiple offerings through the day rather then all at once. This value will give you the total he needs for the day and is a good starting point to give you an idea of a dog's daily requirement. (we aren’t calculating losses, so you can add an equivalent volume to match how much diarrhea is being producing). Of course, if he were to vomit when you have given Pedialyte, then therapy should be discontinued (since we don’t want vomiting because of our intervention).

Finally, since you are not seeing blood, you can consider trying him on a dog safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if his diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose) or PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose) available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, if we wanted to combine anti-diarrhea support with probiotics, then we can use Propectalin or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices, pet stores, and even Amazon). All will slow diarrhea and last 2 have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe his upset GI.

Overall, there can be many triggers for diarrhea of this nature. And with his current lack of treatment response we do have to be wary that this is not due to worms. Therefore, since he is young (and doesn't have the reserves of an adult) we do need to be proactive in trying to settle this for him. Therefore, do try the above supportive measures for your lad. If Reggie has just had a wee dietary indiscretion, these steps should settle this for him. But if you do so but his signs do not settle, then it would be worth following up with his vet. You can even consider submitting a fresh fecal sample to be checked for common parasitic, protozoal and bacterial causes of diarrhea to make sure there is nothing more sinister. Depending on the vet's exam and fecal test findings, they will be able to start him on appropriate treatment to settle this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I give him pepto along with th albendazole and can this be contagious to my other dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

You can give them both together. As well, do be aware that if this is one of those infectious agents we discussed, then this could be contagious to your other dog. Some adult dogs will have a degree of immunity, but do keep an eye on your other dog if they are in contact.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How much pepto for a 2.5lb dog and how often should I see results in a day we gave him it only once when he first got the diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

We use a total dose 0.5ml per pound (so 1.25ml) per day divided into 2-4 doses. In regards ***** ***** I'd want to see it helping over 24-48 hours, otherwise a fecal sample would be best since that would raise suspicions of a non-albendazole sensitive infectious agent.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I cancel now so I am not billed for another month
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

You need only contact customer service (http://ww2.justanswer.com/help) regarding canceling any subscriptions (as a vet that is not something I personally handle). Furthermore, I would be most grateful if you can lead feedback for my previous assistance so that I may be credited for having done so.

Take care,
Dr. B.