Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a small Pea sized dark fluid filled cyst on her

Customer Question
snout. It doesn't seem to...
My dog has a small Pea sized dark fluid filled cyst on her snout. It doesn't seem to be bothering her. She has been on frontline for about the last 10 days now but there was certainly a period of time where she was unprotected. Not sure if this is something that I should just keep an eye for now or if I should be taking her to the vet. It doesn't seem to be sore or swollen her room the cyst and it doesn't seem to bother her when I touch or put pressure on the cyst.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.Thanks for the photos, very useful, I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. My experience is that older dogs such as Alma commonly get small cysts, abscesses, skin tags and soft warts and various other varieties of non malignant bumps and lumps very similar to the one shown in your photo. The vast majority of them are absolutely nothing to worry about at all, I frequently am asked about them during routine consults for other matters and my usual answer is just to monitor the situation and if you see any changes such as more rapid growth or changes in colour and texture then have the dog checked again for possible treatment or surgical removal.2. Most vets would want to avoid any unnecessary treatment in a dog of Alma's age group, however there are no guarantees over the internet and there is always the chance that a very few of these could be malignant and therefore a cause for concern. Accordingly if you want to be 100% safe then you should have your vet check Alma over just to be on the safe side. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Alma. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian