Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm worried about my dog! I went to let them out of kennel…

Customer Question
Hi I'm worried about my...
Hi I'm worried about my dog! I went to let them out of kennel and seen blood either from one end or the other! When I let them out they were all actino normal as usual! No signs of which one may have an issue! Never seen so much blood! Are their signs I can look for to find do out which one needs to be taken to vet or possibly emergency! Thank please help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Are they behaving any different?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
They all are behaving regularly! I just went to check on them again!
Friend, if Cash's bottom is swollen this suggest he has been licking the area. Very likely the blood you saw came from his rectum; he licked it off. When we see bloody stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). Possible causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. I would have him checked by family veterinarian in the meantime this is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- Follow up with family veterinarian.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian