Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog stopped eating yesterday morning and has seemed

Customer Question
Hi, my dog stopped eating...
Hi, my dog stopped eating yesterday morning and has seemed to be constipated. His stomach isn't distended and doesn't feel hard. He is still drinking water but refuses to eat. He's about 10 years old and in good health.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Nietzsche today.
I would start with a few things to minimize the blood glucose drop in a little dog that hasn't eaten for 24 + hours.
- karo syrup along his gumline with the tip of your finger every 4 hours. He doesn't have to swallow it, just have it along the gumlines to be absorbed
- pepcid (famotidine) 10 mg 1/4 tablet about 30 minutes prior to trying to feed again to settle his stomach
- if he will get up and walk that would be great, 15-20 minutes leash walk will help increase gi motility, reduce nausea and cramping, and hopefully getting the gut moving will increase his interest in food.
If there is no change by morning I strongly urge a veterinary exam to ensure there is not something more serious going on with organ function and he doesn't require more intense care to rebound from this illness.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both tonight. I truly hope he is feeling better soon...
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian