Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 13 yo ***** ***** (m) has slept with us every night

Customer Question
Hi. My 13 yo *****...
Hi. My 13 yo ***** ***** (m) has slept with us every night of his life. The last 2 weeks he has been getting down from our bed and going into the bathroom and laying in the bath tub for the night.He is eating, tail wagging, pooping and peeing.Has the shakes off and on and is not as loud as he usually is.Thanking you in advance.Lemont, IL
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Shorty. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Sleeping in unusual places, and shaking, both suggest to me that he is hurting. I know a bed sounds more comfortable than a bathtub to you, but dogs with arthritis become afraid of being jostled when sleeping, and they often seek smooth cool surfaces to lie on.
Pain in dogs is subtle, they don't use their voice to complain like we do. A change in sleeping places, and shaking, may be all they show.
I would consider fish oil, glucosamine, the herbal product DGP for Doggone Pain, and possibly prescription anti inflammatory and pain medication. At his age, arthritis is likely, and he may seem like a new dog if you start treating him.
A good physical exam by a veterinarian is always a good idea when a dog has a sudden behavior change.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Ok thanks. I will do as you suggested.
You are welcome!
Let me know if iI can help with anything else and let me know how he is doing.
Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I helped you. You can still give me updates and ask questions if you rate me.
Hope he is doing better soon.
Hi Cheryl,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shorty. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian