Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a ***** ***** terrier that lived through Katrina and…

Customer Question
I have a ***** *****...
I have a ***** ***** terrier that lived through Katrina and becomes very nervous when a storm comes and I have no more Acepromazine. Can I give her 1/4 pill of Tizsnidine to help her relax?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Tizsnidine is a human drug and is not a drug commonly used in dogs, it's effects would be unpredictable and the dose rate not really worked out so really this is not a drug you should consider using in dogs. In any case it is more a muscle relaxant as opposed to a tranquilliser or sedative. 2. Until you can get a refill on the Acepromazine prescription there are two easily obtainable over the counter alternatives which do have sedative properties and may suit your purpose. These are Benadryl and Melatonin. { Follow the links for dose rates and more info } I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Pamela,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Princess. How is everything going?
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian