Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, a male, 16 month old Golden Retriever, pants excessively…

Customer Question
My dog, a male, 16...
My dog, a male, 16 month old Golden Retriever, pants excessively after his daily one hour off-leash in the park.
It takes 40-50 minutes before he is recuperated ( when he nolonger lays on his side and stands-up),
We live in S.Francisco so I assume that it is not the ambient temperature.
Is this recuperation time normal?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/26/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
It is a little abnormal that it takes this long to recover from an hour of off leash time. May I ask, does he have this issue with a leashed hour walk or only when over exerting at the park? The shorter walks of 30 minutes he doesn't have this problem?
Thank you for the additional information
I am on-line another 15 minutes tonight to assist you both
If it is cooler weather and he is having a slower time of recovery after an hour of exertion it can potentially be concerning. If it is progressive or not improving it would be ideal to have your veterinarian auscult his heart and lungs to ensure there are no irregularities that require management. There are muscle enzyme issues that can occur but typically this is a Labrador problem not something we see in Golden's. If he is evaluated and has no issues whatsoever and it continues and/ or progresses then I would consider talking to your vet about testing him for one of the conditions such as the one below (again not the right breed but unfortunately they do not always fit into the mold of breed, age, sex).
http://www.akcchf.org/canine-health/your-dogs-health/disease-information/exercised-induced-collapse.html
I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both...
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Hi Petrus,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian