Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

8 year old bernese mountain dog has milky vaginal discharge

Customer Question
excessive drinking and excessive peeing...
8 year old bernese mountain dog has milky vaginal discharge excessive drinking and excessive peeing panting and mild anxiety
everything is closed today what should we do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. I have a couple of questions, if that's ok.
- is she eating ok?
- is she spayed?
- if not is there any chance she has been mated recently?
- if not when was her last season?
Thank you - the extra information will really help. You can get back to me by hitting 'reply'. Rosie.
eating fine
not spayed
no chance
about a week ago
did you get my response?
anybody there?
Thank you - that really helps. From the sounds of it I strongly suspect that she has a condition called a pyometra. This is basically a really nasty womb infection. What happens is that over the course of the patient's life the repeated hormones with the seasons causes the lining of the womb to become thickened. Then, when the patient next has a season (and they are usually around seven years old when this happens so she is definitely in the right age range) and the cervix is open bacteria invade the uterus. The thickened uterine lining provides a good home for them and this quickly develops an infection.
Classic signs of a pyometra are an odd vaginal discharge, panting a lot (this is because it's mildly uncomfortable) and drinking a lot. There are two types of pyometra - closed and open. Closed, which is the nastier one, is where the cervix is shut and the infection is sealed inside. This version is incredibly dangerous. Open, which is the one that I think your dog has, is where the infection can leak out through the vulva. This is much less dangerous as the infection can leak out and not lead to a build up inside.
There is both good news and bad news. The good news is that as she is still wanting to eat and reasonably bright in herself you don't need to panic and rush her to an ER vets. The bad news is that there really isn't anything you can do to make her more comfortable tonight, and she will need a vet appointment as soon as one is open. There are various treatments for pyometra but the one that is guaranteed to work is surgery to physically remove the infected womb. People are experimenting with hormonal treatments to stop the cycle combined with antibiotics, but we are finding that this is just postponing the surgery as the pyometra returns at some point. If you are able to get her to an emergency vets then she would benefit from treatment tonight, but from the sounds of it I don't think it is essential - I think she can wait until your regular vet is open.
I hope I've helped - if you have any questions from this then just hit 'reply' again and I will get them and get back to you. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive rating so that i may be compensated for my time. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian