Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 5 year old chow hurt his leg in the middle of the

Customer Question
Hello my 5 year old...
Hello my 5 year old chow hurt his leg in the middle of the night 4 weeks ago came upstairs limping and crying, we took him to the vet the vet says he prob sprained it and gave him antibiotic and pain meds, about a week later went on vacation came home with little improvement. He was running on it through the backyard decided to take him back to the vet, Vets say lets do xrays, does the xrays nothing is broken just arthritis in his elbow puts him on rimadil and tramadol. Does this seem correct? He will not hardly put his front left paw on the ground.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. I'm sorry your chow hurt his leg. If the x-rays genuinely showed that he had arthritis then rimadyl and tramadol is a perfectly valid treatment for him. Usually for an initial diagnosis of arthritis (i.e. when you first discover it) the pain isn't enough to make them limp as you are describing. Usually it is more of a gradual thing - they appear a bit stiff then the stiffness gets worse and then they start limping.
Rimadyl and tramadol are both good pain relief and rimadyl is a good anti-inflammatory as well. If I saw your dog in clinic and he was on both these medications and still limping then I would be suspicious that something else apart from arthritis was going on. If it was something a bit unusual (like a microfracture or a bone infection for example) then it usually takes more of an expert/specialist looking at the x-rays to discover. If I had him in my clinic I would definitely want to send the x-rays away to a specialist to see if I had missed anything. If I were you I would have a chat with your vet about sending the x-rays off for a second opinion. There is also the option of referring your chow to a specialist for them to look at his leg as well.
At the end of the day if you aren't happy with your dogs diagnosis or treatment then there is nothing wrong with asking to be referred to a specialist, or seeking a second opinion from another vet. Vets see people who do this all the time, and your vet won't mind.
I hope I've helped - if you have any questions from this then just hit 'reply' and I will get them and get back to you. If you feel I have helped you please leave a positive rating so that I can be compensated for my time. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian