Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a boxer almost 1 year. She has started to get a lot

Customer Question
of red bumps on her...
I have a boxer almost 1 year. She has started to get a lot of red bumps on her neck shoulders and thighs. They don't seem to bother her at all and she hasn't been itching them. It looks like there is mostly just dry skin or clear fluid inside but a few have a little bit of pus. What is going on with her and how should I treat it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- What is the name of the antibiotic she was on?
2- How long was she on antibiotics?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
I think it was cephalexin. she was on it for 7 days
Thank you for the picture.
Friend, the skin lesions are consistent with a superficial pyoderma (bacterial infection). When dealing with skin bacterial infections we sometimes need to keep them on the antibiotics for a longer period than 7 days. I would recommend you discuss with your about dispensing Cephalexin again, this time keep her on it for 3 weeks. Even if the lesions go away after the first week keep her on it for a total of 3 weeks. In the meantime, bath her 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks with Chlorhexiderm shampoo. You can buy this shampoo online, pet stores or vet's office.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Is there any more natural way to treat this?
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
It appears your expert has left the conversation. I am sorry to hear you are worried about Chaya.
I am also from PA; where are you located?
If the bumps are not at all itchy, it is probably not an allergic reaction. I agree with Dr. Peter, this is probably a skin infection and may need a longer course of antibiotics.
If you want to try something "natural", I would consider trying some of these: fish oil, for Omega 3 essential fatty acids; oatmeal shampoos; quercetin; probiotics.
The best way to know for sure what these bumps are, and what the best treatment is, would be to do FNA, fine needle aspirate, on one or two of them. We insert a tiny needle into a bump, get some cells from inside, and look at the cells under a microscope.
Let me know what other questions you have.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian