Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My yorkie is 14 years old and has kidney disease, got up yesterday

Customer Question
and is trying very hard...
My yorkie is 14 years old and has kidney disease, got up yesterday and is trying very hard to keep his balance. He keeps bumping in to walls and just steering at walls or corners. I think it's lime disease, is drinking water , when he can keep his balance, but won't eat. Is it time to put him down😞
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Your Max is showing signs of encephalopathy - brain disorder. His ataxia ("drunken sailor") and staring (an indication of a change in mentation/mental status) indicate either an intracranial (within the skull) disorder such as brain tumor or an extracranial (outside the skull) disorder such as hepatic or renal failure which is intoxicating his brain.
Lyme disease can cause central nervous system symptoms but there are quite a few possible and more likely etiologies for his behavior. Whatever the cause, however, you're looking at a very serious disorder with a very guarded prognosis for meaningful recovery at his age even should you have Max "worked up" by his vet to see why he's behaving so. To answer you directly, yes, euthanasia would be reasonable at this time.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian