Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 2 year old yorkie she weighs 4.5 pounds yesterday

Customer Question
she started jumping around and...
I have a 2 year old yorkie she weighs 4.5 pounds yesterday she started jumping around and biting at her bottom we thought it might be a flea but we couldnt find one she will bite at her bottom then she runs and tries to hide and whines she didnt have a bowel movement yesterday or this morning she wants me to hold her all the time which is very unusual, please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on your description of what you are seeing, I do have a few concerns for your lass. Bottom discomfort, biting, trying to run from this (despite the problem being internal), and a lack of feces are often signs of anal gland disease. Less commonly we can also see them with constipation, blockages, and peri-rectal deramitis.
Now as I noted anal gland disease is by far most common and very suspicious here. Often the glands become impacted or infected, and if they cannot drain then they can end up distending (like little painful balloons) inside the rectum. As this occurs, we can see dogs, become more sore, more agitated, and some will also drag their bottoms on the ground to try to express the inflammed gland. If they don't do this, cannot empty the gland themselves, or we do not have it expressed for them, then it can fill until it ruptures. This can either appear as a hole through the skin or blood from the rectum (depending on which way it ruptures).
In this situation, if she is very uncomfortable and sore, you will be limited in what you can do. Ideally, we'd want her vet or groomer to check and express these glands for her as soon as possible. If the material passed is infected, then antibotics from the vet would indicated. As well, dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, Tramadol, etc) could be dispensed to reduce inflammation and get her more comfortable here.
Otherwise just to note, we can sometimes find increasing dietary fiber (to bulk up feces to put pressure on the glands and express them naturally) can be of benefit. We often do this by mixing a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all brain into their food. As well, if she is straining to pass feces (as opposed to holding it because this is sore) you can also add a dose of cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, Lactulose, food grade mineral oil) into her food to ease fecal passage. Further to that, if there are signs of skin issues around the rectum, you can also consider gently salt water bathing the rectal region and apply a thin coating of OTC hydrocortisone cream to reduce inflammation and discomfort for her.
Overall, your wee ones's signs do raise a few different worries. Fleas are less likely with the severity of her signs and we'd instead be most concerned about her anal glands Therefore, since she sounds very distressed, it'd be ideal to consider having this checked for her at this stage so that it can be addressed. And the sooner we do that, the sooner we can soothe all her signs and get her back to feeling like herself.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian