Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 12y/o terrier mix has a few places where she has lost

Customer Question

Hi, my 12y/o terrier mix has a few places where she has lost fur and has scabbing. One is on her belly, the other is on her side near one of her hind legs. It looks like it could be mange, but it seems a bit odd given her age and that she is otherwise healthy. Our three other dogs aren't having a similar problem, so I assume it isn't fleas or something contagious.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I added a couple of pictures. She has been scratching a bit more than usual but she hasn't been scratching at the spots all that much so I don't think they are super itchy.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How deep is the sore on her side?
Has she been scooting or dragging her bottom on the ground at all?
Any diet changes in the last 4-6 weeks before this appeared?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your quick response! No scooting or dragging that I've seen. The sore is pretty superficial, just at the surface of her skin. No diet changes recently, but we switched her to Freshpet about 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
First, I would note that this doesn’t look like mange. In cases of mange, the dogs are terribly itchy, multiple dogs would likely be affected, and lesions do not usually appear in these regions. Instead, based on those photos, it looks more like a mild dermatitis.
This could have been triggered by a contact irritation (ie due to running through grass, pollens, sensitivity to laundry soaps or carpet powder, etc). If the Freshpet has been used for that long, its likely not our trigger. Anyway, in these cases, the first step to managing these is to prevent her from any chewing/licking. If she isn’t doing much that is good, and your placing the e-collar is perfect. Otherwise, just to note, we can alternatively use a small t-shirt and pair of boxer shorts (turned backwards so there is a hole for her tail) to keep her skin covered if the cone was distressing to her (as it is for some dogs).
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care for these lesions, we will want to bathe this affected area with dilute chlorohexidine or salt water (1tbsp per pint warm water) as they are mild dog safe antiseptics. This should be done a 2-3 times a day, and dried afterwards. You can then choose to apply a over the counter triple antibiotic ointment (ie Neosporin) +/- alternate with an OTC hydrocortisone cream if she is very itchy.
Finally, just in case this is being triggered by an underlying allergy, I would note that you can consider bathing in her an emollient shampoo (ie oatmeal based) to soothe her skin. As well, you can try her with a low dose of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) today. Of course, you do need to speak to your vet first if she has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications but often we can give these wee ones 0.5- 2 mg per pound (1 -4 mg/kg) orally twice daily to help soothe itchiness. Do note that we can see drowsiness and sedation with the higher end of the dose (just like people).
Overall, we do have a few considerations for her signs. Still, at this stage would want to take the above steps to prevent infection, prevent further self-trauma, aid healing, and soothe her skin for her. And if she isn't settling by the time her vet is open, then consider a wee check up at that point.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you ! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks! I'll give those a try!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,
All the best & happy holiday,
Dr. B.
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bessie. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for checking in. She seems to be doing well. The spots look better and seem to be healing. So far, so good!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome and thank you for the update on Bessie,
I am glad to hear that she is doing well and her skin is on the mend. :)
Keep up the good work,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)