Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My rat terry she is about 16 years old(people ages) she have…

Customer Question
My rat terry she is...
My rat terry she is about 16 years old(people ages) she have diarrhea for about 3 or 4 days she is not very strong , she was bitten buy pittbull a week ago and the doctore stiches together her forhead,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...Sorry to hear your dog Vegas is unwell, of course this sort of thing is always a gamble particularly in older dogs so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog, these work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A tablespoon twice a day would be enough in Vegas's case. Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Vegas deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian