Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Yesterday my dog looked dazed had a stiff mouth and swelling

Customer Question

yesterday my dog looked dazed had a stiff mouth and swelling under his neck. today he is black and blue on his chest. i believe he jumped off an unfinished deck and didnt have a good landing. what about the swelling whick has gone down since last night
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
Is it possible for you to post a picture of the area? If not is your main question about why the swelling is gone?
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no the swelling seems to have moved down to the bruised black and blue , area on his chest.he can eat and swallow now and is perkier but i am concerned about the contents of the swollen areas and the thick viscus mucas that came from his mouth yesterday. we are out in the hills camping. worried about blood clots. was it a fall or a hornt snack gone wrong
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the swelling appears to be moving and disapating since yesterday
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes why and where is the swelling going?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. This does sound like impact trauma to his neck. If he slipped and caught the underside of his neck on deck the swelling would start there and likely he hit his lower salivary glands which is the source of the viscous drool. The fact that the swelling is now black and blue and is "moving down" confirms that this is a bruise and therefore likely not a blood clot risk. Significant swelling with a lot of fluid will usually "slide down" to lower body parts due to simple gravity! Usually it will stop under the chest but can involve the legs. As long as the swelling is moving and not growing we don't need to be too concerned. If it is getting bigger and bigger then there is a slow bleed and he must be seen immediately. However likely this is likely a large bruise that will take several days to resolve. You can help it along by putting a warm compress on it for 10 min at a time 2-3 times a day. This won't stop it from moving but will help the blood vessels start resorbing the fluid and decrease how much time the bruise is there.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Murphy. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan