Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have been at an outdoor party all day with my dogs and my…

Customer Question
I have been at an...
I have been at an outdoor party all day with my dogs and my catahoula leopard dog has a swollen under eye on his left eye. It's soft and I put a cold compress on it. He will let me, but not for long. Could this be a bug bite?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. As long as the actual eyeball itself is not affected and this came on suddenly then yes what you are looking at could well be an allergic reaction to a bug bite of some kind, this is not unusual in the dog. But of course other diagnosis are possible ... 2. If this is the diagnosis then it is often a very minor condition, I am aware that many owners treat this with the likes of benadryl, provided your dog is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK. However if this is a reaction to an insect bite the swelling would be likely to go down over a 48 hour period without treatment anyway.3. However if your dog deteriorates in any way or if the facial swelling does not quickly resolve you should have him checked over by your vet without delay. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Hi: Thank you so much for your quick response on Sunday! He is much better and though I suspected an allergy or bite of some kind it was relieving to know that was most likely it. AND better yet, it was!Kind Regards,
Bethany
No problem Bethany, very glad to have advised you ... I am so glad this turned out to be something minor. Kindest regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian