Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

My dog vomited 4 x white stuff. Very lethargic and somewhat

Customer Question

My dog vomited 4 x white stuff. Very lethargic and somewhat wobbly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and Missy. I'm sorry that she is ill. To be honest what you are saying is concerning me. When dogs get lethargic like that it can be a sign that all is not well internally. I'm pleased that she kept the rice down and that the vomiting has subsided, but if it was simple vomiting due to eating something silly or a virus then she should be starting to feel better in herself.
Putting the two symptoms together - lethargy and wobbliness - there are a couple of things which could be going on. Low blood sugar can obviously cause both of these. If she was a puppy, or she hadn't kept the rice down, then this would be a strong possibility. It is less likely because she is keeping food down, but it may be worthwhile smearing some honey or jelly/jam on her gums to get some sugar into her. Another possibility is that she has become anaemic. This is where they don't have enough red blood cells. With chronic (long-term) anaemia they can cope with it for a long time so hide the symptoms from you. Then, when the red blood cells get low enough to cause visible signs, you end up with a very sick dog very quickly. They get lethargic and wobbly simply because there aren't enough red blood cells to get the oxygen where it's needed, including the brain. This would be top of my list of possibilities for her.
The other option is that, given her age, she is actually having some form of internal bleeding. Dogs are prone to tumours of blood vessels (called haemangiosarcomas) on their liver and spleens. They don't cause any signs because the liver/spleen can still function just fine. Then, when they get big enough, the tumour can burst causing an internal bleed into the abdomen. When I ran the emergency clinic we saw quite a few of these, and they always seemed to vomit or show some other sign when the tumour actually burst. They then become lethargic and wobbly because of the blood loss. Give that this is a possibility I think you should be heading to a vets quickly - get to an emergency vets if necessary. If she has burst a tumour she will need urgent surgery to successfully treat her. I'm sorry that I think this is a possibility, and I'm sorry that I think you need to get to an ER vets, but in this case I don't see another option.
I hope I've helped - if you have any questions from this then just hit 'reply' and I will get them and get back to you. Otherwise please leave a positive rating. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.