Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Our greyhound fell -no visible or palpable sign if injury,

Customer Question

Our greyhound fell -no visible or palpable sign if injury, but she seems to have pain when she lies down. She is already on rimadyl. Can we give her Ascriptin in addition?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. No, it is not safe to give Ascriptin to a dog who is already receiving Rimadyl. To do so would seriously increase the risk of ulcers and bleeding of the stomach and intestines. This can become a very serious situation if it occurs.If Rimadyl alone is not providing comfort, the only over-the-counter suggestion I have, is Tylenol (acetaminophen), dosed at 5mg per pound of body weight, every 12-24 hours. This is generally safer in a situation like this, as long as it is dosed accurately.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
If there is any additional information needed, please let me know and I'll be happy to help!