Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My girl schnauzer has been crying out with a screech when either…

Customer Question
My girl schnauzer has been...
My girl schnauzer has been crying out with a screech when either picked up by her stomach or when she trys to jump up on the sofa.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How long has this been going on?
2- How old is she?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is she on any medications?
5- Any other symptoms?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
It just stared 4 days ago, she is very healthy, a little overweight, 5 lbs, on no meds and no other symptoms. She is eating fine, having regular bowel movements and urinating fine, and is 9 years old.Not fixed and still has her nipples.
Friend, what you are describing is consistent with neuromuscular pain. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Back pain as a result of either a pinched nerve or pulled muscle, hip pain (arthritis), etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:
1- Rest her; no running or jumping for the next few weeks.
2- Aspirin 81mg 1/3 of a tablet every 12 hours with food for 1 week.
3- Cosequin (glucosamine) at label dose long term. You can buy Cosequin over the counter in any pet store.
4- If no significant improvement within 1-2 days of doing the above I would have her checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter