Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 yo bichon was recently (Thursday May21) treated

Customer Question
for a severe inflammation of...
My 6 yo bichon was recently (Thursday May21) treated for a severe inflammation of the butt and tail. Now he is on meds.....Tramadol 50mg 2ce a day, Prednisone 5mg 3x/day, and wearing a 'pillow' so he won't lick the area for at least 5 days. He is eating OK and drinking water. He is very healthy, weighs 19.9 lbs. and is in generally good spirits. My question is this, since Thursday he has not pooped. He pees normally, maybe a little more because of the water intake, but no bm's. Last night he was uncomfortable so maybe he is constipated. My vet.....Enfield Animal Hosp in Enfield CT.....is closed until Tuesday but I can't wait until then for an answer. I did try mixing his food with ginger but no results. Please help me help him. Thank you Melissa
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, Melissa. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now if Morgan's backside has been a bit sore, then isn't unexpected that he could be trying to hold his feces to avoid having to go. And if it has been since Thursday, then he may have some secondary constipation causing him issue.
Therefore, further to the ginger, I do want to suggest some treatments you can try now to see if you can relieve this constipation. To start, the first step is to offer some cow milk. Dogs can be lactose sensitive and this can cause increased gut motility leading to things moving through the gut a bit quicker (it can cause mild diarrhea in an unconstipated dog ). If he is mildly constipated, this might just get things moving in the right direction.
Alternatively, you can also treat them with cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. . As well, if he is straining and tis is causing him to be uncomfortable, then you can also administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose, or mineral oil orally (ideally offer in food or if given via oral syringe then take care to avoid aspiration, since that would cause problems we'd best avoid) as a GI lubricant.
Furthermore, if he is eating you can mix in some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water).
Overall, it is not uncommon to see these signs secondary constipation when dogs have discomfort in their back ends. Therefore, I would advise the above at this stage to help Morgan. That said, if you try the above but aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or your lad begins to vomit or worsens, then they should be evaluated by a local vet (ER if yours is not open). Severe impactions sometimes require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation). Still, if we use the above, we can hopefully get things moving and avoid that for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian