Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a 70lb pit 11 months old. She has a habit of eating

Customer Question
We have a 70lb pit...
We have a 70lb pit bull 11 months old. She has a habit of eating her toys she started being latharge yesterday and stopped eating and drinking. She had 2 bowel movements with a lot of a plastic ball in it. We have tried giving her pumpkin but she has turned up her nose on everything. Any suggestions. We can't afford a couple of thousands of dollars to take her to the vet
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Has she had any vomiting?
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Any straining when she did pass stool? Any black stool?
Hi again,
I have not heard back from you and you do now appear offline. Therefore, I do want to leave my thoughts on how to help your wee one.
Now if she has eaten all sorts of bit of toy, we do need to tread with care. Especially if she is refusing food (a sign of nausea and possible gut blockage). Still, as long as she is not showing those other signs, then you can consider trying her with an antacid to try to reduce her nausea, get her eating for us again, and see if we can get everything moving in her gut for her There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
We tend to give these 30 minutes before offering food to give it time to be absorbed.
Once that is board, we want to try and get her eating as you have. In situations where we are trying to facilitate them passing something non-edible, we will often offer a light diet as a base. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep her stomach settled Whichever you choose, you can then add a fiber bolus (ie the canned pumpkin, all bran, a ½ teaspoon of Metamucil, etc) to her food to help push the material through. As well, you can add a dose of GI lubricant (ie. Cat hairball treatment, Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil) to the food as well. These can help get slide these toy bits though the gut and hopefully pass it all without complications.
Finally, since we don’t know what quite she has had and where it the gut it is, I do want to outline the warning signs we need to monitor for. If she were to develop any hints of restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood)); then those would be red flags that some of this has caught in her gut. So, if you see these, then they’d be red flags that we’d need have her seen urgently for abdominal palpation +/- xray to see what is where and whether this can be passed or if she needs help.
Overall, we do need to tread with great care here. If she is refusing to eat, then we need to address nausea and then try again to get her to do so. If she we can, we can then use the above supportive care to try and help her keep passing all she ate and avoid a blockage.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jake. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian