Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My friend's 4 month old puppy has had swelling around the face…

Customer Question
My friend's 4 month old...
My friend's 4 month old puppy has had swelling around the face and groin since yesterday - benadryl doesn't help and now there are patches of swelling elsewhere. He's also having breathing trouble now, seems lethargic, doesn't have an appetite and his airways appear to be clear. Is there a way to diagnose this online? Neither of us can afford an emergency visit at the moment and the affordable vet is not open on Sunday, so we're trying for answers from anywhere.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 3 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize no expert has jumped in to answer your question but I am afraid we do not have any good at-home recommendations for you. So, far you have done well to keep her from injuring herself due to the itchiness with the elizabethan collar and try to reduce swelling with beandryl.
The swelling may be due to an acute allergic reaction or infection (deep infection). There are other rare immune mediated issues that could cause this but they are unlikely. Bites could also lead to this.
Any time there are swellings suspicious to be an acute allergic reaction this is a medical emergency that will probably require injectable medication (like a steroid) to clear. There is nothing other than benadryl over-the-counter that you can try. :( I do want to confirm your dose of benadryl (diphenhydramine) is about 1 mg per pound every 8 hours.
This is a situation that, if persistent, or worsening could be life-threatening and lead to death if not evaluated by an emergency veterinarian immediately. I do so wish I had an easy, alternative at-home solution for you but I do not.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Hi Katrina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oliver. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified