Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Bullwinkle threw up in the morning. He hasn't ate anything.

Customer Question
HI, Bullwinkle threw up in the...
HI,
Bullwinkle threw up in the morning. He hasn't ate anything. He will drink water.
When he threw up, it look like grass but I couldn't make out what else was there.
He seems alert. We tried to give him turkey, rice and green beans but he wouldn't eat.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question about Bull Winkle (I loved the Rocky and Bull Winkle show as a kid!). I'm sorry to hear that 's having this going on. What could cause a dog to vomit could be a couple of different reasons. The vomiting could be due to him having eaten something that is just not sitting well - ate some table scraps, got into the garbage, found something in the yard, new food, etc. It could also be due to something being stuck - a foreign body such as a sock, rock, stick, piece of plastic, etc. It could be due to pancreatitis. It could be due to other metabolic issues such as kidney, liver or adrenal issues. Being able to tell what of these it is due to requires a physical exam, x-rays, and some blood work. At this time, it is good that he's not vomited since this morning, he's alert and drinking water. Could he be through the worst of it?
Sometimes offering bland food at this time can get them interested in eating. The bland foods that you can prepare at home pretty easily are boiled hamburger / skinless chicken breast and white rice mixtures. This is prepared by mixing 3/4 cup white rice and 1/4 cup of the boiled hamburger or skinless chicken. You can then give 1 cup of this combination per 20 pounds every 8 to 12 hours. I would over the next couple days then progressively get him back onto his regular food.
The huge hurdle for him to get over is the not eating. If this continues, if he gets very weak, if he has obvious abdominal pain, or the vomiting starts again - he absolutely needs a veterinary exam. He at that point hasn't responded to at home care and needs a physical exam and testing to see what further therapy is needed. I hope this helps!!
I have tried turkey, rice and green beans. I have 3 dogs and the other 2 dogs are ok. We have given him some ppcid ac 10 miligrams to settle his stomach this morning but he still refuse the turkey, rice and green beans tonight.
That is good that the other 2 dogs are ok. The pepcid AC is an antacid that is pretty commonly used to help reduce stomach acidity and it can help ease some upset stomachs a bit. It is again good that there is no more vomiting and that he's drinking water. I wouldn't rush to get him to eat, if its available and he wants it, he'll take it. If things are resolving on their own, his appetite should be back in the morning. If it isn't back, that is when the questions arise as to why.