Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9 yr. old corgi that is having a hard time with his…

Customer Question
I have a 9 yr...
I have a 9 yr. old corgi that is having a hard time with his back legs walking on hardwood and tile floors but not on rugs. What could be wrong?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and Brady. I have a couple of questions, if that's ok.
- what does he do when he walks on the hardwood floors? Can you describe it at all?
- does he still want to go on walks?
- does he seem stiff at all?
- how is he at going up stairs? can he jump into the car?
- how about coming downstairs - any different? Jumping out of/off things?
- is he licking his feet at all?
- does he walk on hard surfaces when outside?
Thank you - the extra information will really help. You can get back to me by hitting 'reply'. Thank you, Rosie.
He will still go on walks and his back legs "slip" out from under him. He hops up and down stairs. Does not jump up or off anything, not licking his feet and walks on pavement and grass.
Thank you for getting back to me - that extra information really helps. From the sounds of it (and I cannot be sure because I haven't examined him myself) I suspect that he has something going on in his hips. This is usually the case with the combination of back legs slipping out from under them and the bunny hopping on the stairs. On rugs and more grippy floors the extra support on the toes can support the hips (the leg and the floors almost act like a splint, if that makes sense) so they find it easier to stay upright. On slippy floors it is the hips and hip muscles alone which hold the leg in place, and when this is weak they can easily start to slip over. At his age I rather suspect that Brady is starting to develop arthritis. At the early stages they are fine to go on walks, but then become a bit stiff and sore after the walks.
There are a few things you can do at home to help this. One of the most important things is to keep his walks short and regular. WIth this condition you can't have for example short walks during the week and longer ones at the weekend. He needs to be in a regular routine, and for walks no longer than 15 to 20 minutes frequently. I would also limit endless chasing, for example backwards and forwards with a ball, but regular running around on a walk should be fine. If you get him enrolled swimming and hydrotherapy can really help. I would also get some supplements for him - your vet should be able to provide some over the counter, but if you can't get any from their then anything containing glucosamine, green lipped muscle and chondroitin sulphate should help. Cod liver oil can also help. There is also a prescription diet that promotes good joint health (I have been having some amazing results with it actually) - hills j/d or rcw (royal canin) mobility are the two best ones. You should be able to get them online.
If you feel he needs more help, or you do the above for a while and it doesn't seem to do as much (arthritis is a progressive disease) then it would be worthwhile getting him to your vets. All arthritis patients at some point get to the stage of needing regular anti-inflammatory medication, which you can't get over the counter for dogs.
I hope I've helped - if you have any questions from this then just hit 'reply' and I will get them and get back to you. Otherwise please leave a positive rating.
Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.