Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog seems to have a hot spot on her foot and has licked…

Customer Question
My dog seems to have...
My dog seems to have a hot spot on her foot and has licked the fur off her toe. I have hot spot spray. What else can I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now I am sorry to hear that Nikki has licked her foot to the point that she has given herself a hot spot (moist dermatitis). In regards ***** ***** to approach this, the first step is to prevent her from licking. The reason why this is critical is because when she licks, she spreads the bacteria from her mouth onto her skin and moistens the skin increasing the risk of spreading and worsening this moist dermatitis. To prevent her from irritating this area for the moment, you can consider placing an e-collar from your vets or pet store. You can also but a sock (as it is breathable and better then a bandage) but I do suspect she would be too smart to keep that on for us. In any case, we need to break her licking cycle while letting this lesion have access to the air so it can dry out and heal.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care for the hot spot, we will want to bathe this affected area with dilute chlorohexidine or salt water (1tbsp per pint warm water) as mild antiseptic. This should be done a 2-3 times a day, and dried afterwards. You can then choose to apply a over the counter triple antibiotic ointment to the site if you wish. And if she is very itchy, this can be alternated with an OTC hydrocortisone cream. And of course, the spray can be used as needed.
Finally, just in case this is being triggered by an underlying allergy, I would note that you can consider bathing this area in an emollient shampoo (ie oatmeal based) to soothe her skin. As well, you can try her with a low dose of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) today. Of course, you do need to speak to your vet first if she has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications but often we can give these wee ones 0.5- 2 mg per pound (1 -4 mg/kg) orally twice daily to help soothe itchiness. Do note that we can see drowsiness and sedation with the higher end of the dose (just like people).
Overall, hot spots can be very uncomfortable and lead our dogs to causing their skin severe irritation and hair loss. Therefore, we need to use tough love and prevent licking to prevent any worsening. Further to this, we want to use the above supportive care to prevent infection, prevent further self-trauma, soothe her skin for her, and help her heal this.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian