Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Female canine urinary tract infection; what are the symptoms and what can be done?

Customer Question

female canine urinary tract infection; what are the symptoms and what can be done?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. The typical signs for a female dog having a urinary tract infection are: increased frequency of urination, straining / posturing to urinate for longer period of time, accidents in the house, and possibly blood in the urine. Dragging her rear end on the carpet could actually be due to irritation of the rectal / vaginal region. Sometimes they do this if they have anal gland issues. I would say dragging the rear end is actually more of a sign that the anal glands are getting very full and need to be expressed. Could there be some skin inflammation / infection back there that is irritating and causing this? Could she feel unclean after going and does this to help clean herself. My dog will sometimes do this if she is having looser stools that might feel like some still is clinging to her rear end after going. In a situation like this, it would be my recommendation to get to the 24 hour vet to have them check her over. If it is the anal glands, it would be best to get them expressed now before they get to full and infected and possibly abscess. If she does have a UTI, then she can get onto some oral antibiotics to get this resolved.