Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Labrador drank from toilet water that has one of the blue…

Customer Question
My Labrador drank from toilet...
My Labrador drank from toilet water that has one of the blue disinfectant tablets added. She had about 6 laps of water before I caught her. I immediately took her to her own water bowl and she drank clear water right after. I am concerned about how dangerous this is and what I should do.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you tell me what chemicals are listed in the product you have?

Are you seeing any sores, blisters, redness, or ulcers in her mouth?

Is she drooling?

Any discomfort if you press on her belly?

Hello Dr. B.

My big little wee one is a 60 lb Labrador, Queen of Sheba.

The chemical tablets were dropped in the toilet about 4 weeks ago but water is still deep blue. The name of the product is 2000 Flushes

Active Ingredients: 1,3-Dichloro-5,5-Dimethylhydantoin (81.1%), 1,3-Dichloro-5-Ethyl-5-Methylhydantoin (16.1%), Inert Ingredients: (2.8%), Total: (100.0%), Minimum Available Chlorine: (68.0%)

Sheba ate dinner has usual (2 hours ago): 2 cups of dry kibbles, plus 1/2 banana. I gave her milk and bread also about 30 minutes ago after reading on internet.

Her tongue appears somewhat red, but gums are pink and healthy appearing. I can not see the roof or lining of her mouth as she is very active (or wild may be a more descriptive term), her typical behavior.

She does not seem to be in pain when her belly is pressed.

There are no signs of drooling. She continues to attempt to steal and chew on various objects (shoes, clothing) in the house and seems her usual self except for a little restlessness.

I do appreciate your time and information. I am overseas in Seoul, Korea and all nearby veterinary clinics were closed at the time of incident (Saturday afternoon). I do not know where to take Sheba if an emergency after hours, but believe the nearest 24 hour facility is almost an hour away and hope for availability of a pet taxi service as regular taxis will not take animals unless in a kennel. (Sheba's kennel can not fit in a taxi) I hope not to have to experience this, but will get smarter with this information in case of future mishaps.

Thank you,

Since the product had already been in the toilet for 4 weeks and since the chemicals would only constitute a small percent of the volume within the toilet, I would not be worried about a severe exposure if she only had a few laps. Furthermore, with these chemicals being quite strong corrosive agents, if she were going to suffer harm from this then you would have already seen some of those signs I asked about.

So, if she has had no drooling, vomiting, belly discomfort, appetite loss, or damage to the tongue or mucosa lining of the mouth; then we'd not be overly worried here. And in that case, we only need to monitor her and keep offering small meals of a bland food (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, cottage cheese, etc) to keep her stomach settled and absorb any of the chemical that may be in her stomach. As long as she stays settled over the next 24-48 hours, then we'd not be worried. Otherwise, if she had some stomach upset, then we could also treat her with antacids (ie

Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose)) and gastroprotectants from her vet.

Overall, this doesn't sound like a toxic situation. If this ever happens again, the first step is to flush her mouth with cool water and then offer milk/bread/bland diet or OTC activated charcoal from the pharmacy to bind the material. Those will limit their harm as long as she has only had a small amount. If she has a large amount, then we'd need to consider having her to her vet for decontamination of her stomach. So, those would be what to do in a situation as it happens. But use the above at this stage if she is showing no signs of adverse effects.

Please take care,

Dr. B.