Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I rescued a 5 years old Shih Tzu, and a vet told me that she

Customer Question
has eye problems cause by...
I rescued a 5 years old Shih Tzu, and a vet told me that she has eye problems cause by an untreated infection. As a result she has a glazed over both eyes that blocks her sight. He said if she was human, she would be diagnosed as legally blind. I know she can see some shadows, but depth perception is bad. Is there anything else that I can do to help her vision? The doctor has presently prescribed Cyclosporine 1% Ophth, 2 drops twice a day for rest of her life. I heard that they can remove cataracts for dogs. Is there some procedure that can help with this conditions.
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Are the haze/glaze over the top of the eye (cornea) or deeper within the eye?
Does she have a reduced tear production?
Can you take a photo of her eyes? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian