Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got spayed two days ago and she cries when she pees…

Customer Question
my dog got spayed two...
my dog got spayed two days ago and she cries when she pees and/or poops is that normal
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for requesting me, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten to fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. This can be normal and I have know this happen in the first few days following a spay because when a female dog adopts the position to urinate or defecate then this caused pressure on the abdominal wound and hence pain and discomfort. If she is otherwise well and the wound looks OK then this may be the cause. 2. However you never know, it could also be due something more serious following surgery, so if in doubt have your vet check her over. Your vet can give additional pain relief as well if this is appropriate. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

that does make sense I am going to call him tomorrow i have had other dogs female spayed and cats but don't recall this being an issue, however she is the smallest dog I have ever had she is only 7 lbs when should i expect that to go away after 4 days?

Hello again, Very glad to talk this over with you further ... The majority of dogs which have spays are just fine after it these days, but if what you are seeing is due to pain from the abdominal wound I would expect it to settle down after four or five days. Of course you should keep her as quiet as possible until the stitches come out in any case. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Pat,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her post spaying pain.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.