Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Ona stroll along the beach, my dog just consumed a # ***** "by…

Customer Question
ona stroll along the beach...
ona stroll along the beach, my dog just consumed a # ***** "by the wind sailors" similiar to
a jelly fish - Of couse this is the holiday weekend - i can't find any infor on this on line
regarding consumption of them - do you know?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Tehyia consumed a number of "Wind Sailors" and I understand that you are concerned for her.
I want to make sure that we are discussing the same creature. Is the picture in the link below represenative of what she ate?
http://www.netartsbaytoday.org/assets/images/By-the-wind-sailors-2.jpg
If so the good news is that these aren't true jellyfish, but rather a close relative. They are less toxic than real jelly fish. However they do still have the ability to sting, albeit a milder one, and they can still cause gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, esophageal irritation, nausea, lack of an appetite, vomiting and diarrhea.
I don't recommend inducing vomiting only because they are irritating.
I do recommend that you leash her on any further beach walks and not allow her to eat any more.
The good news is that she is a bigger girl too, so that should help.
To try and settle her stomach today you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.
Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat and 2/3 boiled white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber to help push the pieces through.
If she starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage or more serious irritation and burns and she should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tehyia. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian