Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a film over his eye almost looks like a cataract…

Customer Question
my dog has a film...
my dog has a film over his eye almost looks like a cataract but I don't think it is it all seems to be painful to him. My husband left me I have absolutely no money literally 40 dollars to my name and I need to put gas in the car. I am waiting for him to be served and wait 31 days before I can leave to my new home in Washington my friend is helping me pay for that but I have no money and I'm very concerned about my dog Moses. He also has discharge coming from his eye it seems to happen overnight but I don't think there's any injury
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
when I go to pet him he flinches like somebody hit him or I'm going to hit him and he has never been hit so obviously there's something wrong with this I in he's in pain. I have never been in this position of having no money and no way to help my dog. I am open to doing alternative things I have investigated tumerick I used to make myself for putting Neosporin around this I for putting castor oil a couple drops in it I just want to make sure it's safe for my dog he is so precious to me he's such a good boy. He is eating great and pooping and his poop is normal.
5/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. I'm sorry you have been waiting a while for an answer - I have literally only just come online and found your question. I have a couple of questions just to clarify things if that's ok.
Could you tell me if the eye seems swollen at all?
Is he blinking a lot?
Is he on any other medication?
Thank you - the extra information will really help. You can get back to me by hitting 'reply' again. Thank you, Rosie.
No it doesn't seem any bigger than the other eye, is there some way I can send you a pic? He is not on meds.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Thank you for getting back to me - I apologise for the delay in my reply - I am in England and had to go to bed! Unfortunately I don't have the facility for a live phone call, so I will opt out so another Expert can help you. Rosie.
I don't necessarily need a phone call if you just have any idea what I could do, I really really appreciate it.
Thank you for getting back to me and for the pictures - they have really helped. The film that you are seeing over his eye is his third eyelid, which comes over either when the eye is sore or when the patient has a viral infection. It is difficult to make out, but I think from the pictures that he has an eye ulcer - rather typical for his breed I'm afraid. This will definitely be making him sore. The other bad news is that if ulcers aren't treated they can rapidly progress and sometimes result in the patient needing an enucleation - having the eye removed. That is worse case scenario, and it is rare to get to that point, but you need to be aware of it.
If you really can't get him treated at a vets then there is some treatment out there. The first is to get some antibiotic eye drops into him. You should be able to find some over-the-counter at the pharmacy (but I would probably not tell them they are for a dog!). Over here we have chloramphenicol drops - I'm not sure if they are available where you are but there should be an equivalent. Make sure there isn't any steroid in there - this will prevent the ulcer from healing. I would put these drops in at least five or six times a day, if possible. You also need to get some eye lubricating drops, or false tears (false tears would be better) to give the eye some protection. I would put these in every hour if possible, and ideally every couple of hours overnight if you could possibly manage that. When the drops are due together put the antibiotics in first. This really needs regular aggressive eye drops to get on top of, and you absolutely must make sure that you don't put anything containing a steroid anywhere near the eye.
I hope that the above makes sense, and that you are able to find everything. It all should be available over the counter. If at all possible I would get him checked out by a vets, as his breed is one of the breeds where eye ulcers can become serious and difficult to treat.
If you have any questions from this then just hit 'reply' again and I will get them and get back to you. Otherwise please leave a positive rating. Thank you, ***** ***** luck with everything. Rosie.
Thank You Rosie
Here in the US we can't get OTC antibiotic eye drops but the natural tears
You're welcome. In that case I would apply the tears every hour as a minimum. The eye drops might be called 'chloramphenicol' or 'golden eye' - I did some online research and I think you should be able to find them somewhere. I would obviously get him to a vets as soon as you are able.
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian