Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a maltese and she is 9 years old, i saw her throwing…

Customer Question
hi i have a maltese...
hi i have a maltese and she is 9 years old, i saw her throwing up and let her do it i then saw she went to use the restroom (so i thought) but she ended falling over with no control of her body and she was making some type of noise that i can't remember because i freaked out
this never happened before but the throw up has just not the falling over
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
please advise what you think is going on her doctors appt is tomorrow
5/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's difficult for me to know what "falling over with no control of her body" implies. Was she seizuring? Vomiting (an autonomic sign) is consistent with partial seizures. Was she vocalizing ("making some type of noise")? If so, whining is consistent with seizures and stroke. Did she suffer a syncopal ("fainting") episode seen when her blood pressure drops precipitously - often due to arrhythmia (irregular heart rate)? Did she collapse? If so, gastrointestinal symptoms in association with collapse suggests Addison's disease.
Because her vet will be hard put to clarify what occurred, I expect that a thorough physical exam paying particular attention to her heart and diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests will be suggested. If nothing untoward is found, seizure disorder or syncopy will be suspected and you'll be asked to make a note of this event on your calendar and keep a track record of her behavior which will help her vet decide how best to proceed.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian