Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate about a quarter of an oatmeal raisin cookie. There…

Customer Question
My dog ate about a...
My dog ate about a quarter of an oatmeal raisin cookie. There were probably two raisins, that were very small in the piece. I have an 8 1/2-year-old French bulldog. He is 27 pounds. Do I need to take him to emergency
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Good news, just two raisins will not be toxic to a 27 pound dog, there is no need for you to do anything in this sort of situation, this is not going to affect him. He should be just fine ... 2. The reason I say this is that while raisins can be a significant toxin to dogs the lowest documented toxic raisin dose in the dog I can find is 0.1 oz per kg of the dogs body weight.3. A 27 pound dog weighs 12.27 kg so you would only be worried if it ate 1.3 ozs or more of raisins and there are on average around 25 raisins per ounce which works out 32 raisins in your case. From this you can see that most dogs that suffer raisin related problems have eaten very much larger amounts than your one did. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Thank you sooo much!!!
No problem, very glad to have advised you...
Kindest regards, *****
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the raisins incident
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian