Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Beagle has a Thyroid tumor, my vet says can not confirm…

Customer Question
My Beagle has a Thyroid...
My Beagle has a Thyroid tumor, my vet says can not confirm if cancer or not without a CT scan and then operation total would cost around 5K, is there another way to tell if cancer or not? His blood work last month came back good he is 13. Is the removal of tumors in this area dangerous?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
My name is***** and I would like to assist with your question today. Bloodwork, even thyroid levels, on dogs with thyroid tumors, are inconsistent and not helpful with diagnosis. Thyroid levels can range from low to high and anywhere in between, including normal. Thyroid tumors are no common, but when they do occur, beagles are one of the more common breeds to have the tumor. Thyroid neoplasms can be benign (adenoma) or malignant (carcinoma). Tumors may be microscopic or become as large as 10 centimeters in diameter. Large tumors may migrate to and through the thoracic inlet into the chest. As far as diagnosing, a CT is not always necessary to determine if it is cancer or not. A CT would help to know if it has spread though. Diagnosis can be attempted via cytology of a needle aspirate, but a biopsy (larger piece of the tumor taken) is necessary for definitive diagnosis. If extensive metastasis is suspected, regional lymph nodes and the thorax should be checked for the presence of metastasis.
Removal of a tumor can be difficult in this area if the tumor is wrapped around the trachea. Surgery needs to be done by an experienced surgeon. Surgery is potentially complicated due to local tissue invasion -- so if it is not an isolated mass.
Please let me know what follow up questions you have when you return.