Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog started to yelp yesterday when jumping up or down…

Customer Question
Hi my dog started to...
Hi my dog started to yelp yesterday when jumping up or down or if picked up by the under ARM method the way u would a child. Immediately after she would limp. After resting she would go out to potty buy walking very slowly. My husband felt a long lumpy bump on her lower back extending over her hip/upper thigh area...u could run your fingers over it..feels about an.inch wide and 3 to 4 inches long..(this bump, or injury wasn't there before)I'm afraid it may be hip displscia but I'm hoping its a strain or sprained..can u shed some light?shed a mixed terrier possibly Chihuahua breed medium small dog age 3 weighing close to 40 pounds.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so very sorry to hear about your little one. My primary concern is an injury to the back back, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy.
Here is more information on this condition:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.
You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.
To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back and the crying when picked up. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.
I do not suspect hip dysplasia from your description but more of a back injury of some kind. Restriction is key but again if there is no improvement please have her seen by your veterinarian to diagnose the problem and begin appropriate therapy. Please let your veterinarian know you have administered aspirin because it will effect what they will prescribe for Lexi.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian