Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can you give your dog an Ativan to calm them down

Customer Question
can you give your dog an Ativan to calm them down
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
My name is***** and I would like to assist with your question today. The medication Ativan, or generic Lorazepam, is a medication that can be given to dogs. However, this is a controlled drug and I cannot advise you to give your medication to your dog. I see your dog is a Bernese MD. How much does he weigh?
It is best to identify why the dog is anxious instead of covering it up with medication. If he is anxious due to the itching he is experiencing, it would be better to address the cause of the itch -- such as allergies or fleas.