Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Whats best over the counter treatment infection on a

Customer Question

whats best over the counter treatment for a infection on a dogs foot/leg
Submitted: 2 years ago via PetWave.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Can you please give me some more information on what is going on with Honey's leg? Is there a skin infection or is she limping?
Is she licking the leg a lot? Was there an injury of some kind or more of an allergic reaction or bite?
What breed is Honey?
Thank you!
Alright, I am going to give you basic care for treating a wound or infection but if there is no improvement or it is progressively worsening then it is time to get your dog to the veterinarian to prescribe antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications because if there is a deep infection unfortunately antibiotics are warranted and over the counter therapy is not going to be effective in reducing this process.
1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please a cone on to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection
2.) Trim the hair around the wound
3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry
4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning
5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess
6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the leg.
Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. I am going to be taking a short break soon so wanted to ensure I gave you the information to begin hopefully getting Molley on the road to recovery
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!