Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our crazy five year old dog who gets into and eats everything…

Customer Question
our crazy five year old...
our crazy five year old dog who gets into and eats everything but never goes to the vet ate a bag of greenies. His tummy is firm and he started peeing blood this AM do I take him in? He seems fine otherwise, but a bit uncomfortable.
Thx Julie
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Karing, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Hi there,
I'm sorry your dog isn't well. His tummy is probably just firm due to the over distention of his stomach. However, I am most concerned that your dog has blood in his urine. I suppose it is possible that ingesting a large number Greenies caused some crystals to form in his urine (not a Greenie specific problem but theoretically possible) that are now contributing to blood (i.e. as they irritate the urinary bladder lining) OR perhaps this is an odd coincidence.
In any case, since male dogs have a narrow urethral opening that can become obstructed pretty easily by small stones, I would recommend seeing your veterinarian as soon as possible for a physical exam and urinalysis at a minimum. It is best to be proactive in this situation to avoid something more serious from occurring.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Sincerely, Customer
FYI he puked out at least ten piles of greenie chunks/liquid the day of incident, Tuesday. He jus peed normal color pee, is there a chance the blood in urine will come back or does this mean he may be ok?
Thanks
He also got into his food yesterday and ate about three days worth.
That extra food yesterday would explain why his tummy is firm and he is still uncomfortable today (despite the Greenie ingestion and vomiting being two days ago).
It's good that you didn't see blood in his urine the last time he urinated, but something caused the blood this morning and I doubt that it has resolved on its own so quickly. I think it is wise to take your dog to see a veterinarian at this time.
Thanks, Customer
Hi there,
I wondered how your dog is doing. I hope he is feeling better. Please let me know when you have a chance.
Thanks so much, Customer
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Thx for following up
I took him in but opted out of the bladder check and he is fine
I'm glad to hear he is okay. Thank you for letting me know.
Customer